Friday, January 9, 2009

Fun with QuickLaw: billable seven-and-a-half minutes

I have an exam in Crim II: Ethics of Criminal Law on Tuesday. (My girlfriend laughed when I told her I wasn't worried about it because "there isn't much material"--I hadn't considered the ramifications of the statement.) While reviewing my notes, I ran across a "hypothetical" breach of counsel's duty of confidentiality, next to which I had scrawled "tremendous example!" in red pen. It read:
Example: During the course of the representation, counsel learns that his client's marriage is in desperate straits, and that the couple is experiencing sexual problems. Without discussing this matter with anyone else, counsel uses the information to embark on a sexual relationship with the client's wife. He has thereby breached the duty of confidentiality.
I should've figured I wouldn't have written "tremendous example!" un-ironically.

As if that weren't "tremendous!" enough, the example concluded with a citation. If you have access to QuickLaw, I recommend you search "54 O.R. (2d) 663" and read the head-note.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! I will have to look that one up.