Thursday, February 18, 2010

This Is Old City Hall, Day 15

Little of note to report from Day 15: Preliminary hearing. 401 collision. The accused, a mid-40s blond lady, was driving on the 401 and struck a parked service vehicle -- specifically a "crash truck", the kind of truck with a plywood tryptich with blinking lights forming an arrow. The driver had been on the scene for thirty seconds before the impact. He heard no squealing or braking: one second he was sitting, the next he was flying. From his testimony, it seemed pretty clear that he intended to get some money out of the ordeal. Maybe he was even genuinely injured. Stranger things have happened.

Observations
  • I ran into a classmate leaving the court just as I was arriving, at 9:45. He thought I was late. Au contraire!
  • I wore all black-and-white to court today. Head to toe: shoes, suit, shirt, tie, jacket, bag, gloves, scarf, hat. I heard once that juries tend not to trust lawyers wearing anything other than black or dark blue -- they think they look cheap, shifty, like used car salesmen. I don't have any other colours anyway. I plan to have a black-and-blue wardrobe with maybe a tweed for the weekends.
  • The third floor of Old City Hall smells of human waste. Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem.

No comments: